For Sale: $25,000 Roadster

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, wai@ix.netcom.com, livseym@wellsfargo.com,
Subject: For Sale: $25,000 Roadster
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 16:34:33 EDT
Hello,

Yes..... you read it right!  There is a Roadster for sale here in San
Francisco.  It is certainly a nice car too.  I have seen it several times and
it has always attracted the eyes of passer-bys".

The car is a silver and black 1969 SRL311 Solex.  The car has been redone in
leather and it rides on 15 inch Panasports.  I dont consider it a restoration
but a good rebuild.  Yes there are flaws too but it is a daily driver.

Anyway, back to the price.  The car is being held on consignment in one of
the "fashionable" classic car dealers here in a hot property district of San
Francisco.  Inside this dealership you will find "real" Porsche Speedsters,
Ferraris', a few beautiful Minis', Mercedes Benzs' of models older than 20
years, etc.  And then sitting in the best seat in the dealership, right in
the glass window corner of the showroom facing one of the busiest
intersections of The City sits our buddy, SRL311.

I was tipped to this car by a buddy Z Owner so I went to take a look this
afternoon.  I parked my car right in front of the sliding glass doors to the
showroom.  As I walked into the building one of the owners walked out and
immediately told me that the colour of my car was not original and tried to
point out other unoriginal things too.  I didnt want to continue telling him
he was wrong so I let him go on and on.  Especially about the unoriginal
rollbar.  Anyway, I finally got inside and went to the car for sale.  The
dealership owner went on telling me that the car was a showcar, was a showcar
and it was a showcar.  I told him that I recognized the car and I even told
him who it belonged too.  He replied that he didn't know and walked away.

I was able to corner him later about the price and he made some good points
about why the prices of our cars are so low.  He told me that the reason he
placed it at $25K because he was trying to help the Datsun Roadster Market.
There was really no point in going into detail about the cars.  Especially
after he told me that he thought there was a six cylinder version.  That he
has one in his garage that he is saving.  He isn't sure if it was a '69 or
'70.  He also wanted to know my opinion on the 1971 Datsun Roadster.  In
closing his comments were that the 1969 was the best year of the Roadsters
and wondered if I knew that.  I told him that it just might be.  He then
excused himself and left the area.

He also believes that his dealership is responsible for the prices of the
older Porches being what they are today.  I don't know if he meant expensive
or reasonable.  I didn't ask.  I just agreed.  Afterall, who am I to know.
;>)

So there you have it.  One of us has his Roadster up for sale for $25K.  I
hope that he gets it too.  No I can't tell you who it is but if you are
interested the dealershipis located on Franklin St. cross of either Pine or
Bush.

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
67.5 SRL311-000248 Solex / Sora Blue

btw... I will sell mine for $24,000 if you really really want it.