Re: Rear mainseal

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear mainseal
From: bill wessel <bwessel@itis.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:48:30 -0500
Erik,

I've used Amsoil in my race car for the whole of last season after breaking
the engine in (fresh rebuild) with Castrol 20W-50. I loved the stuff and it
seemed to work well in the engine and was tolerated by the (new) rope seal.
Had a fellow racer tell me he knew of a fellow who did a study of alot of
different race oils and Amsoil came out on top. They've been in the
business of synthetics longer than anyone (they were the first) and they're
right here in WI. What more do you want.

Can't say the same for their gear lube and my worn trans. It seemed that
the lube was too slick for the third gear synchro and I'd get more scruntch
on the fourth to third downshift than with Castrol 80W-90. I then tried
Mobil 1 in the trans and this was much better. But the trans (stock
5-speed) finally gave out out of the last corner on the last lap of one
race and I swapped it out with another. Still have it down in the garage to
repair one of these days. I liked the Mobil 1 though, I did some website
research comparing oil specs (from those sites that provided the info) and
Mobil 1 was comparable to regular gear oil in many respects but was
synthetic and cheap (this was after all, just after I'd bought the Amsoil
lube and discovered it was too slick for the synchros). I read that John
Neff used to mix 50-50 % gear lube with ATF to run in the Electramotive
cars but can't comment on this.

Hauser ran synthetic engine oil and regular gear oil with an ounce or two
of moly thrown in for the trans and diff.

Good luck,

Ps. maybe your rope seal was installed improperly. You must soak these
things in engine oil at least overnight before you assemble them or else
they'll burn up from friction the first time you start the engine.

Bill Wessel
Madison, WI
'68 1600 and
GP race car