Rear mainseal

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear mainseal
From: Erik Emstad <ErikE@spinetech.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:41:07 -0500
List,

I had such a great response earlier this week on my aluminum rocker arm
question (www.malvernracing.com by the way,  thanks)  that I thought I'd
give this one a try:

I would like to use Amsoil in my engine (race 1600),  but I have
acquaintances who have tried this with poor results.  The combination of the
very slippery nature of Amsoil and the rope mainseal conspired to make a
substantial leakage issue.  Does anyone out there have experience with a lip
type main seal?  I don't mind doing some machine work to get something to
function, as I think the advantages of the high quality synthetic oil would
outweigh the hassle factor of placing a new seal.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated...

Erik