Re: Original vs. custom

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Original vs. custom
From: "Mick T" <mickth@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 05:34:05
This is so ironic you mentioned this, because just tonight as I was
stripping parts off of my 68 2000, I was looking at all of the chrome parts
that will need to be re-chromed. I bought this 68 2000, because the body has
absolutly no rust. It is very original. The chrome parts however (bumpers,
headlight bezels, tail light rings, side trim, brackets etc.), are very
straight, but badly need to be re-chromed. I've called a few places, and
just from estimates, that is about $1000. So I'm thinking about powder
coating them a metalic pewter/silver (more like $100 to $200). Will this
lower the value of the car? It can't get any lower than it is right now. I'm
thinking that what I'm modifying, isn't a life altering change. Like Michael
said, if I want to change it back in 15 years, I can always buy new parts
that are chrome plated. It's not like I'm cutting holes where they don't
belong, or welding body parts that don't belong. I'm also going to replace
all of the rusty stripped bolts/screws, with allen head stainless steel
bolts/screws. Again, not a permanent change, Just one that I will like while
I own the roadster. I will say, if you are going to paint the car a
different color (or the same color for that matter), take the time to sand
90% of the old paint off the car first.
I think this is where most bad paint jobs start, is ending up with 1/4"
thickness of different paint colors. I've spent a few days sanding off the
paint on my hood, and I swear I've counted 8 different colors (including the
primer colors). The hood will weight about 5 lbs less by the time I'm done
with it. The paint was so thick in places, that one of the PO's used bondo
to fill a big chunk of paint that chipped off. By the time I sanded the
paint down, there wasn't any bondo left in that spot, and the spot is
completely flat. Sorry everyone for rambling... just had to get my .02
worth.....

-Mick-