Re: Original vs. custom

To: "Taylor McCarney" <datsun69roadster2000@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Original vs. custom
From: "roadster" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:16:25 -0800
Yes, paint it a different color and the Datsun roadster will lose $40,000 in
value!

Honestly, I don't think you need to worry about losing quite that much
money! Our roadsters are not in the same category as a 'vette.

IMHO, your roadster will definitely be worth more if your car still has the
original factory paint in really good condition. There aren't that many
around. (Note that I said original factory paint, not a re-paint of the
original color.) But right now, I don't think that makes much difference to
Datsun roadster buyers. In 15 years? Hard to tell. If the original paint
isn't that good, and warrants getting a new paint job, why not go with
whatever you want. After all, if the prices of our roadsters go up
dramatically then you can always strip the paint and start over. If you have
good original paint, keep it and take good care of it.

On the other hand, I flared out my '68 fenders a long time ago and now I
regret it. But even that is fixable (I'm restoring the stock look). It's
your car, do what you want to make it the car you desire right now. Thinking
about it as an investment is a gamble that may not pay off. Oh also, I'm not
advocating changing a '67.5 2000 or the 1500 models; think twice before
changing those cars.

Fred - So.SF
BADROC
'68 2L spanish red (with big fenderwells)