Re: Racecar Lightening

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Racecar Lightening
From: "Chris Robertson" <ckrobertson@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 00:11:36 -0600
This is a topic of debate.  Many think that you are better off plugging the
coolant lines to the manifold.  The cooler it stays, the more dense the air
will be and therefore you can tune for better performance.  This is the idea
of cold air intakes.  The Bob Sharp manual recommends this also (he even
plugged the manifold coolant lines that come from the cylinder head).

Some say that you need a warm manifold to keep the fuel atomized.  Plugging
the lines may cause the fuel pool (these people obviously do not live in
Texas).  I've also heard that the Datsun/Nissan engineers designed the
manifold this way for a reason (they are certainly smarter than me).  Some
have said that proper coolant flow through the engine requires that all the
original lines are present (methinks this is hogwash).

All designs involve compromise.  The engineers wanted to make sure the car
was reliable and streetable under various conditions.  Bob Sharp wanted
every possible hp he could get.  Since you are building a race car, I say
PLUG 'EM!

Chris Robertson
Bryan, TX