FJ20 conversion? - I didn't mean to start anything

Subject: FJ20 conversion? - I didn't mean to start anything
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 23:03:31 -0400
Warning: Long
I actually started this off the list just to get some info because I could
not get the picture of Ron Hamilton's FJ20 equipped Roadster out of my mind.
I was literally thinking about it in bed at night.  Not normal, I know but I
think we've covered that topic dealing with Diana's issues (Diana - this is
what you've got to look forward to - You thought choosing wallpaper was
tough?).  I do love my U20 and plan on keeping it in my 69 but that FJ20 is
a work of art.  It looks like sculpture under the hood.  Looks like that
combined with more power than I can muster out of a normally aspirated U20
is very intoxicating to me.
I definitely have the hots for doing one of these conversions but - as I
can't bring myself to alter my 2000 - I would need another Roadster to build
this Ultimate Roadster.  Therein lies the dilemma.  I know that several
folks on the list have more than one car.  As Paul said last week though -
once you've built that model once, do you want to build it again?  I never
did either.  Then of course I went out and bought that DAMN issue of Chevy
High Performance with the GM alternator conversion article in it that was
mentioned on the list and of course that had a small block build up with
these groovy new heads on it that dyno'd out at 444HP which seriously
re-ignited my desire for a V8 Z car.  I already have the Z and we all know
that the small block is the cheapest HP there is.  This of course is all
secondary to the E-type and 911 addiction that I've been fighting for over a
decade.  This is why I laughed quite a bit at Victor's post that Diana's
problem was that she's asking the junkies if she should kick the habit.
That brought it all home - I am a JUNKIE.  No doubt about it.
Sooooo.   What will I do?  My heart (and my Cohones) say do the turbo FJ20
and scare the ever-loving shit out of yourself and anyone else within 5
miles.  My brain echo's Mike's thoughts - Trade one worn-out engine that's
difficult and expensive to get parts for, for another one that's even worse?
My wallet says get your but off this damn mailing list.  I believe at this
point that I am going to skip the FJ20 conversion - brand me a wimp, I
accept it.  I think the V8 Z car will come first.  Air Conditioning is nice
in Florida and after the last 2 summers without I think I'm due for a little
A/C with my next project.  Afterward I will consider doing a swap (with big
fender flares to put big tires under to get that power to the ground) but
most likely with the SR20.  Given the knowledge that I can make the SR20
more powerful than any sane (in a relative junkie sort of a context) person
would really want in a street driven Roadster and can do it with an engine
that I don't have to import and can buy parts for, the SR20 just makes more
sense - even if it isn't the piece of sculpture that the FJ20 is.
Ron - Don't ever sell your car.  But if you do - Call me first.

Brian

By the way - Thanks very much to all those who responded to my initial
queries.