No Thermostat

Subject: No Thermostat
From: "Charlie" <cehubbard@home.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 20:56:36 -0500
Did anyone catch speed visions discussion concerning aluminum radiators that
are used in racing.  They basically said that with a high efficiency
aluminum radiator system, they have dispelled the myth that a thermostat or
restrictor makes a car run cooler by holding water in the radiator longer.
They say that race cars run cooler by running water through the system as
fast as possible, i.e, wide open.

I have no idea where that leaves us guys without high efficiency systems or
cars that don't go around track at high speed. Has anyone ever performed a
test to see if their roadster runs cooler with a thermostat in controlled
conditions? I don't have a thermostat in my car and it runs at about 230
deg.

Before you start...I removed a stuck/bad thermostat in order to do a test
drive. My engine was just rebuilt and the block has been flushed at least
twice. The radiator has a brand new triple core. My timing is dead on 16 deg
BTDC and the carbs are running a little rich. The heater valve on the engine
is closed.

I'm going to buy a new thermostat and see if my temp goes down. I will then
open the heater valve and see if that makes any difference. I will then go
on the same highway (LBJ) and see if the temp does the slow climb to the top
like it did before the engine rebuild and 3 core was installed.

Charlie
1964 SPL310 (1500)
Flower Mound, Texas
http://members.home.net/cehubbard/tdroc/