Re: No Thermostat

To: Charlie <cehubbard@home.com>
Subject: Re: No Thermostat
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 21:14:14 -0700
I didn't see this and I would need some *serious* convincing to buy this. I am
betting this is only true in very specific cars/situations, if at all. I know
that a recent overheating problem on a Toyota Supra was solved by replacing the
thermostat with a *very* small restrictor. Car had a huge aluminum racing
radiator and was still overheating, no matter what thermostat they ran. They
were switched to a restrictor with a hole about 1/4" or so in it and the car
runs cool and totally stable, both on and off the track. Consider this: why
doesn't your hand burn when you pass it quickly over a flame but will burn if
passed slowly? Heat transfer vs time. Same thing in an engine's cooling system.
The coolant must be in contact with the engine materials long enough for the
heat to transfer adequately. Ditto the radiator. No material spec is going to
change that and allow instantaneous heat transfer, at least nothing we will ever
deal with. I'm highly skeptical, and think there is something else going on,
like super high pressures (some race cars are now running over 30 psi and to do
that you must have special equipment).