Re: A long overdue apology

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A long overdue apology
From: Tom Stockman <ftuck@frii.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:40:31 -0600 (MDT)
<Hey, reader, if you didn't see Paul's apology to the list, it's at
the end of this post, and it's real important you see it if you want
to understand my reply.  Please read both his & my messages!>

Paul, your email is very timely for me, thanks!  I joined this list
sometime in the mid-late-80s, and dropped off about '95...because
of the exact problem you describe.  I love your new analysis, that
we really have two communities, one interested in tech stuff, one
in social connection.

I joined again a few weeks ago, as I'm about to get my Roadster
running after a several-year-hiatus, and wanted to reconnect with
the group & ask a few tech questions.

The messages have about quadrupled.  I've been fighting disbelief,
horror, and condemnation.  I logged on tonight to recover the instru-
ction on how to unsubscribe.  I'm interested in tech, not much at
all in community (OK, a little interest here).

I also had thoughts of starting a 'secret' by-invitation-only list
of tech-heads, possibly moderated...by whom, I don't know, I don't
want to spend the time!

Paul, your description of our dilemna nailed what's going on with
the list.

How 'bout we establish an additional email list, and establish a
few different customs for it?  Like, only reply if you think you
really have significant & new takes on a thread?  Of course we'll
see several-at-once replies saying the same thing, but if we set a
few ground rules, like, we're looking for no more than 15 posts a
day, questions should reveal that the poster has checked the online
faqs, "roadster sighting" and "ebay/classified seen" and "OT" posters
and "top down at last!" and "me too!" posters will be denied future
access.

Please excuse any excessive judgements on my part that are revealed
by that last paragraph--and, is there an audience that's interested
in a tech _not_ social email list?

Dang, asking that last question puts it on the line.  If I see much
excitement in this idea, I'll a) put up a web page & collect "ayes"
for that idea, and b) form a "subcommittee", set up a discussion
forum, whatever--to establish conventions describing what's acceptable
and what's not on that new list.

Also--I have no personal investment in running the show--if someone
else wants to, or if we want as a community to make a decision about
how to set this up--cool!

Guess I'll cancel my plans to unsubscribe for the moment.  Post to
the list if you think I'm being a butt--or if you like the idea--or
if you have some well-thought-out other thoughts.

Tom in Morrison, Colorado
ftuck@frii.com
67.5 1600...300K+ miles

----Paul's original post, worth reading if you haven't yet: