Re: More body off questions & Datsun progress

To: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: More body off questions & Datsun progress
From: "Gerardo Magana" <gmagana@softcom.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:11:45 -0700
Andrew, While you have the body at the shop getting body work, have them cut
this piece of sheet metal out.  If you repair it you will find it difficult
to remove your starter without having to take off your intake manifold and
carbs.  All of the roadsters here in Modesto have had their triangular piece
cut out.  Its a practical thing, The piece itself serves no function, if
anything you can always make a piece that you can screw on and off from the
wheel well area if you feel the need to have that piece there.  I can send
you a pic of mine if you'd like, I had mine cut out,  good luck on your car,
sounds like you're doing a dynamite job on it.
    My car is making small but significant progress, Brakes are almost done,
bearings have been repacked, brake lines replaced, Electrical is coming
along and exterior trim is going on. The car is starting to look like a
Datsun again, those long years of sitting idle in the garage are going to be
over soon.
Gerardo Magana
67.5 Solex SRL 311-00222
p.s.  Talked to Herb Petty today, He sounded a little shaken up, seems like
some guy in a truck didn't see him and turned on his yellow roadster, Bud
Stafford told me his left front fender and hood were damaged.  Too bad, we
might not see his roadster at Shasta this year.

> Hey All,
>
> The countdown is on for taking the body off the frame on my 67 2000. I
have
> received a lot of good advice from list members and my buds in the SoCal
> club.
>
> I have read a lot about bracing the frame after the doors are removed.
> Victor has come with unique design for a brace that we think will work
well.
> Pics will be taken once we get them in place.
>
> I am hoping to have a rolling frame to put the body on once it comes off
my
> frame. I know that some people wait a while and put the body on "A" frames
> and some people build a "rolling box". I figure to just skip it. Does it
> make sense to do it any other way?
>
> When I took the starter off, I turned the wheels so I could reach through
> and work on it. There was a triangular piece of metal that was twisted off
> like someone before me had also tried to get to the starter and just said
> the hell with it and tisted it out of the way. What does this piece do?
Will