Re: Exhaust and other questions

To: ambradley@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Exhaust and other questions
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:34:31 -0700 (PDT)
Hello

> Some doofus muffler shop cut the flange off the end of the exhaust
> manifold and welded the downpipe directly onto it (P.O. before P.O.).
> What is the best (still inexpensive) tool to cut through the pipe?

        If its not too large you can get a tubing bcutter at home
despot for like ten bucks. I have one that cuts up to 1" tubing but they
make bigger ones.

> I'm buying a header because it's cracked anyway.  Should I take the car
> to a good muffler shop and having them fabricate something or should I
> buy the exhaust from Rallye or another vendor?  If through a vendor,
> any preferences (price, quality, ease of installation)?
>
> Rallye is a bit pricey ($450 or so for the exhaust system) and I'm not
> concerned about originality but do want quality and an attractive sound
> and tailpipe.
        I got my mostly stainless steal header from Stan and I like it a
lot.  I bought a stainless steal supertrapp from summit and had the
local good muffler place connect the two up with 2 " pipe.  It probably
cost about the same as the rallye price .

> Finally, the '70 has a thingie (technical term there) on the intake
> manifold that prevents the car from going immediately to idle in third
> and fourth (or so I've been told).  Two wires go to it; one is busted.
> Do I want this thing functional, or is it best left disabled?

        Man I'm glad I have a 69. They had some smog stuff but it was
easy to remove the 70 just sounds like a nitemare with all the extra
tubes and hoses and solinoids and such...

                Daniel 69 2000
                SF CA