Re: Starting rebuilt engine

To: "Nathan Ruffcorn" <nruff@famvid.com>, "dana nojima"
Subject: Re: Starting rebuilt engine
From: "James M Koken" <james.m.koken@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:53:45 -0700
IF your sure that everything was turning smooth, then most likely its the
rope seal.  they are difficult to get in the little slot without binding the
crank.  Soaking in oil helps but you can stillhave some friction left over.
Should go away after startup and running awhile.  I've done several roadster
rebuilds and never had a rope seal  desintigrate yet.  Some leak more that
others though. Remember to run the engine at 1500 rpms (minimum)at start up
to maintain good oil pressure throughout during breakin.  Check for leaks,
low oil pressure, etc.  Don't be concerned about some smoking, because the
rings haven't seated yet. I've noticed a little higher temp readings at
first because of the tightness of the engine.  This should subside also.  If
temp goes way up then shut her down quick before disaster strikes.
Mike Koken
Colo. Springs CO