Tranny assembly - which way?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Tranny assembly - which way?
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 09:42:20 -0800
I have a 4-speed partly apart to replace the ground-up countershaft
and bearings. Well, actually I've pulled two of them apart in order
to build back one that will hopefully work right :-). And in so doing,
I found that the countershaft can go in either way, as I had one each
way! So should the notched end go towards the FRONT (which allows
for pulling the shaft without major disassembly), or does it go towards
the BACK (which is what I found in the tranny I don't think's been
rebuilt before)?

-- John