Re: Spark?

To: "Gary Boone" <gboone@sisna.com>,
Subject: Re: Spark?
From: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster2@texoma.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 22:30:26 -0500
> I don't see how a Pertronix Ignitor can produce more spark energy than
> points since it runs with the ballast resistor and the higher resistance
> stock coil.  It can't handle the amps without the required resistance
> (not for a long time anyway)

I'm not familiar with the Pertronix setup.  Mine has a Delta (over 25 years
and still going strong!) that uses the stock coil setup.  It was call a
'dwell extender' or 'capacitor discharge'.  Basically it charged a cap to
about 400 volts and discharged it across the coil.  VERY short pulse gave
VERY high output.  The literature claimed it to be in excess of 40,000 volts
and suggested a plug gap of .042".  The current was limited due to the short
duration keeping the coil from melting.  To date, the higher voltage has not
punched through the insulation on the coil winding.  I do, however, carry a
spare coil in the trunk!

Best regards,

Fred Schroeder
'70 2000