Re: Spark?

To: Datsun Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spark?
From: Gary Boone <gboone@sisna.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:42:04 -0600
  I can't recall why I did this but I once left one of the spark plug
wires off the cap and witnessed a spark jump out of the cap, down the
outside of the distributor and to the engine block.  This was with my EI
distributor triggering a MSD 6AL.  I was glad I wasn't in that circuit!!!!

I don't see how a Pertronix Ignitor can produce more spark energy than
points since it runs with the ballast resistor and the higher resistance
stock coil.  It can't handle the amps without the required resistance
(not for a long time anyway).  See this from Pertronix' website:

        What type of coil can I use with the Ignitor^(TM)? How do I
        check my coils resistance?

<http://www.pertronix.com/ignition/tech/tech.htm#What%20type%20of%20coil%20can%20I%20use%20with%20the%20Ignitor%E2%84%A2?%20How%20do%20I%20check%20my%20coils%20resistance?>

 From what I understand, the Crane HI6 produces multiple sparks in each
cylinder for each power stroke, like the MSD capacitive discharge
systems.  But if it's like the MSD box, it fires multiple times only up
to about 3,000 rpm and at higher rpms, fires only once per power stroke.
 Now I see that the new Pertronix Second Strike ignition box fires twice
throughout the entire rpm range and you can adjust the timing for the
second spark.  Has anyone tried one?

Gary Boone