Pinging engine??

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pinging engine??
From: "Jon and Maggie" <jm.rider@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 23:24:13 -0700
Hi Again,

I've got what I consider to be a perplexing problem and I'm hoping for some
ideas.

Until very recently, my '69 2000 roadster has been running great.  I spent a
weekend tuning up my carbs, ensuring my timing was just per specs, etc.  Man,
I was pleased with how it was running!  Everything was great.

Then, a few days ago, it started.  It's ironic really.  I just discovered that
my boat has bad rings and that I have to pull the engine (for the 3rd time in
3 years - talk about a money pit - I'd like to shot the guy who designed those
exhaust manifolds - but that's another story).  This was Father's day.  My
wife took me to the movies and I wanted to drive the roadster.  I was
lamenting my problems with the boat and I said "at least the roadster's
running great" - that was the exact moment I notice the 1st real hesitation.
First as a minor hesitation, a stumble.  Then later in the evening I started
to get a slight pinging occurring when I put the car under a load.  However,
this only occurred once in awhile.  Now, anytime it is under a load it pings
and it has a hesitation when I attempt a rapid acceleration.  It seems to be
getting progressively worse

First, for clarification, let me tell you what I've checked and what I've got.
I have Gary Boone's EI distributor, I verified my timing was at 16 degrees
BTDC at around 800-900 rpm with vacuum hose off, I replaced the vacuum hose
between the carb and the distributor because it seemed loose.  As a note, the
symptoms seem similar to that which I had when I once forgot to reattach the
vacuum hose after checking the timing.  I also replaced both fuel filters with
the same type filters that were previously on the car - Fram fuel filters.  I
did notice that the one installed prior to the fuel pump had a fair amount of
sludge in it.

Of course, it was my plan to do a little boating with the weather so fine here
in the NW - hit the San Juans.  When it became evident that this wasn't going
to happen, I figured I'd take a day off of work and take the roadster to
Eastern Washington - Leavenworth - for my first ride over the mountains to
visit some friends and just enjoy a fine cruise in the car.  Now, I don't
think it's going to happen unless I can figure this one out quick.

You know what they say "When it rains, it pours"

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Oh, and thanks for the feedback on the panasport wheels too!

Jon
'69 2000 Roadster
Bothell, WA