OT - new car search, long

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT - new car search, long
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:40:54 -0500
Hey all - Well I have been looking at new cars.  I set out to drive and take
a real close look at the Infinity G35 coupe.  I could only find an automatic
to drive.  So I went off to drive other sport coupes for comparison.

G35 (35K with options I want) - It has all kinds of power (280 HP) and love
the exhaust tone.  It felt big and heavy to me.  I drive the Mazda P5 now,
so I am a little biased to smaller, zippier cars.  Also, the interior was
bent to the luxury side and not much "sport".  I did not find and good
corners with this car, but it felt very light on its feet.  Nice steering
feel - and the exhaust is to die for!   I need to drive one some more:)

Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor and C320 (30K with all options except cell
phone).  The 230 with 6 speed was nice.  It was real slow until the
supercharger kicked in, then it was  fun.  It is rated at 189 HP.  The 320
automatic (did not have a 6 speed in) with 215 HP V6 was very nice.  Felt
smaller with more sport then the G35, but not as fast.  Funny.. the C320
felt more like the 350Z (I had to drive one of these too:)) then the G35
mmmm...  The C320 had more options then one could imagine.  And, that
Panorama roof is cool.  I drove these cars hard in the corners (white
knuckled salesman:)).  On a 180 degree off ramp with a tighting corner I
pushed them to 70 MPH and braked hard on exit to get into traffic.  A very
unbalanced situation, but the cars did very well, very controlled with
little push.  With the 17 inch wheel option this car would be great in the
corners.

BMW - 325 (35K with options), 330 (42K + - ouch) coupes - Now these cars
took me by surprise.  I read all about how nice, fast, cornering ability,
etc, these car are.  So I get into a 330 (225 HP) with the big M3
wheels/tires.  Really like the design and feel of the car, but..... I did
not like driving it.  It pushed bad in the corners and below 3000 RPM is was
as gutless as the 1.8L 230 Kompressor.  The two cars felt much alike - no
power at the low end and a bust of speed above 3000.  The salesman wanted my
thoughs on the car - I really had none, and I was a bit speachless.  He
could see I was dissapointed and just handed me a card and walked off.

So, there you have it.  To get the G35 I want it is a 6 month wait, but may
be worth it.  The C320 - need to drive a 6 speed and it is $5000 cheaper
then the G35.  The BMW - maybe I should drive another one.  Between reading
all the good things, then driving this car I am a bit confused!?!?!  Being
Datsun nuts I am sure your vote is for the G35:)  I am trying my best not to
be biased.  Any other cars I should look at?  I want power, seats four, rear
drive, leather, sunroof, and quality build.  And it must be new.

Have a great Roadster day!!

Phil