Re: <OT> What have I done now? 56 Metro

To: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Subject: Re: <OT> What have I done now? 56 Metro
From: Bobby Rees <rrees@digitex.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:03:17 -0600
Take the 1500 to a shop, NOW!! The Nash originally came with the A series
engine, you
have the later British Leyland engine. The 1500 was put in the Midgets starting
in 1975,
and they had a bad habit of dropping the thrust washers. When that happens, the
crank
"floats" while it destroys itself. A replacement crank can be found, but they
are often
quite expensive.
How you prevent this from happening is to pin the thrust washers, so that they
can't
fall. Your best bet would be a 1275, but since you already have this engine,
just beef
it up a bit, so it will last. A 1275 is like the small block Chevy, hot rod
parts are
easier and cheaper to get and build up what small amount of horsepower you can
squeeze
out of it, around 125 hp max. The 1500, like a Ford motor, can be made to run
hot, if
you throw enough money at it. My two pence.

Brad