RE: fans

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: fans
From: "Dave and Linda" <daveandlindab@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 22:31:39 -0400
I,m using a stock 2000 radiator with a 16" electric mounted on the front to
clear the waterpump shaft.  The ultra thin fan just cost way too much.  I
machined an aluminum spacer about 1 inch thick which will allow me to add a
lightweight "American" style fan, either low pitch or flex with the shroud
if needed then the electric is strictly for backup and traffic jams.  Had to
fabricate an upper radiator bracket and space the bracket 1 inch forward and
then space the radiator back 1 inch, so the radiator is in the same place
and there is room for the fan.  Having a problem with the sensor now, but
might just be location.  I would recommend getting the adjustable temp
sensor, I didn't but should have.

If anyone wants photos, I'll email.

One thing I did notice is that the electric fan could use a soft seal where
the outside edge contacts the radiator core, like foam weatherstrip
tape,there is a lot of air leaking past, but may not be an issue on puller
fans.  It is noisy when on, but that won't be all the time.  Amp draw could
be a problem with long term use and large wire and a relay is a must.

The Permacool 16" electric fan just lines up with the factory fan shroud
bolt holes, some creative Dremel work would prob. make it fit.