wits end only runs at 3000 rpm

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: wits end only runs at 3000 rpm
From: "Mr. McDougall" <flxible42@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:10:56 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Gang; /list
I am now at my wits end. 9 months ago I bought a 2ltr
that ran for short periods when I bought it.  My first
diagnosed problem was no fuel.  installed a electric
fuel pump. no fuel, found a rusted line all the way to
the tank. replaced tank and line.  car ran  but never
a good low idle, just high rpms.  While looking at it
I saw it give a baby backfire right out the throttle
shaft. oh crap, carps are shot. ordered ztherapy
carbs.  realized that the po had stripped off the smog
crap and that I needed to resetup the car so also
ordered a Gary Boone distributor. (btw Gary is very
helpfull and great) after both installed, still no
joy, so I set the valves triple checked the timing
setup.  The timing is set to 16 btdc , the valves are
set, the carbs are new, the distributor is new and the
dang thing runs, just at about 2500 to 3000 rpms and
sounds good with a very occaisional very soft pop out
the tail pipe.  While running the front carb seems to
be sucking lots while the back is little regardless of
any ajustment I could make........
ANY IDEAS? help?
Thank you for reading
Mick