lefties and the classic car hobby

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: lefties and the classic car hobby
From: James Hoffman <ericerichoffman@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:48:17 -0700 (PDT)
I've just been asked what the source or basis of my Al Gore comment was.  I am
surprised as Mr. Gore is widely known as both an automobile hater and
environmental extremist.

To answer the question there is a "legal front" section in the back of Hemmings
Motor News.  Which is not the only place I got that tidbit.  Ironic as Vermont
(home to Hemmings, arguably the greatest classic car publication of all time)
is not exactly a right wing state.

Moreover by the end of the Clinton administration there were widespread leftist
efforts to remove old cars from public roads in the cause of environmentalism
even though it is widely acknowledged that old cars are, on the whole, used by
hobbyists and used far less often than newer automobiles.

And during the Clinton administration is not the only time that those who
maintain classic cars (read smog creators to leftists) as a hobby have come
perilously close to deciding between leaving California or giving up the hobby.
 Others can comment but I believe Jay Leno, Clint Eastwood and other key
figures who love old cars made their voices heard at these key moments and made
a difference.

Again, fact, not my opinion.

Eric