Re: windshield frame refinishing

To: "John Roper" <john@roper-photo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: windshield frame refinishing
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 10:59:05 -0500
John,
Those bumps sticking up are most probably blisters of corrosion under the
plating - pushing out the chrome skin, after having eaten into the base
metal.  After removing the skin, you'd undoubtedly find pits everywhere
there is a bump.

Most platers will not guarantee their work if they aren't the ones doing the
prep work.  A quality job will include stripping the old chrome, an acid
bath to clean the metal, and a bath to neutralize rust and corrosion.

Plating begins with copper, with thickness built up to fill any
imperfections.  Sometimes brass will be applied to fill deeper flaws prior
to copper.  This layer is finished and buffed, repeated if necessary, to
yield a perfectly smooth surface.  You could liken this to the primer/filler
stage in a paint job.  Any imperfections here will show in the final finsh.

Then nickle to seal the softer copper and provide a hard base for the
chrome, then chrome.

As with anything else, you get what you pay for.  Most of the cost of a
really good plating job is in the prep and copper finishing stages, where
the work is all highly skilled manual labor.  After all, if you put a
reflective finish on a bumpy, wavy part you get a bumpy wavy mirror........

Mark Sedlack
ZROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH
66 1600 http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/