Re: windshield frame refinishing

To: john@roper-photo.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: windshield frame refinishing
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 10:39:47 EST
Makes perfect sense. The rust a given volume of steel makes is bigger than
the original volume. The pit pushes rust up as it gets deeper making the bump
in  the chrome. As you start smoothing the first thing you will do is remove
the  excess volume of rust leaving the pit full to the top with rust. If you
media  blast or chemically strip the rust you will uncover the pits. Before it
can be  chromed or much anything else all the rust must be removed from the
pits.
    It's just an ugly problem without any easy solution  that I know of.
We're very lucky that they weren't in love with pot metal  trim like some other
folks. That stuff is a real bear.

keith

In a message dated 1/3/2006 10:15:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,