Re: windshield frame refinishing

To: ericerichoffman@yahoo.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: windshield frame refinishing
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 20:22:00 EST
Eric,

    The Japanese added a little extra sulphur to the  steel to make the dies
last longer. The result of this is the classic roadster  chrome pitting. The
problem with grinding all the pits out is that the parts end  up really thin.
Especially things like headlight trim. The best answer is to  have lots of
copper plated on and buffed to fill the pits. Unfortunately that is  very, very
expensive as copper plating involves some stuff the EPA really hates.  What I
had done was have them simply chrome over the pits. The pits turn into  little
chrome dimples but they really don't look bad and your parts aren't  ground
down to nothing. One really important thing is to talk to your plater at
length
about what you want. There are lots of options and the better you  communicate
with them the better the chances are that you will be happy with the
results. BTW, does any remember seeing the little chrome dimples on my  car? I
don't
think many will notice.

keith

In a message dated 1/3/2006 4:36:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,