RE: Stroker Motor questions...

To: bmartin@tlvengineering.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Stroker Motor questions...
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:09:32 -0400
For all:
My stroker has a fairly radical cam (1100 idle), bigger valves, flat top
pistons, and some porting.  I use early 240 Z carbs, which are same size as
2000 carbs.  The stock manifold has been hogged out to take these carbs, as
has the head.  I think the 2000 or 240z carbs are just fine for a mild to
fairly radical stroker motor, and the cost is much, much less than Mikunis.

On the exhaust side, there are only a few HP to be gained with a header. I
have a stock manifold.  Bolted up to the maniflod is a Classic Datsun
Motorsports stainless flex.  This part is critical if you dont want to crack
the manifold, as it cant move if you use a big piipe.

For the pipe, its 2 inch except 1 and 7/8 where it goes thru the frame.  I
use two locally made glass packs.  They are called North Carolina Moonshine
specials.  The are same diameter inside as the pipe.  I have two short ones,
one inside the X where the resonator used to go, and one where the stock
muffler used to go.  The little points inside the glasspack are even bent
back in the direction of gas flow.  They are very efficient.  The car is
loud, but not cop-loud, and very deep sounding.
They are about $25 each.  My whole custom bent exhaust  system was $140,
plus $50 or so for the stainless flex.  I do not see the need to spend
flowmaster money, although they are certainly cool mufflers and will
probably last forever.

I have never had my car on a dyno, but I know its significantly faster than
my 1996 133HP 2450 pound Miata.  It does a nice burnout, and a healthy chirp
into second gear.   Tires are 195/60 Falkin Azinas.  I blew up one 5 spd.
The one in there now seems to be holding together.

I use the stock air cleaner, with the inlet holes and bolt holes hogged out
to fit, and a custom gasket to make it tight.  Bottom line, it looks like a
stock 1600 if you dont notice the backwards float bowls on the carbs.  (you
cant run Z carbs if you have a dual master cylander, dont think the back
carb will fit)

Hope this helps!
Jim

1967 pushrod 2L 5spd