Re: Engine swap-Z20E

To: Francisco Arriaga <fj_arriaga@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Engine swap-Z20E
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:38:22 -0500
> Frank

> I know this is a subject frequently asked about, but,
> has anyone done a Z20E engine swap? I found a good
> engine from a 1980 200SX with a 5 speed transmission
> that I can have for free. I was mainly interested on
> the tranny, but it might be better to do the whole
> package; the Z20E is fuel injected and 5 speeds would
> be nicer than 4. My original idea was to stroke my R16
> to 2000cc. The price is right too!!
>
> I tried to find some resources on the Z20E online, but
> there isn't much. Doesn't seem to be a popular choice.
> Thanks in advanced!

The Z20 is basically an L-20 with a NAP-Z head. Yes, it could be done, but
clearances would almost certainly be a problem, both pan to cross member and
cam cover to hood. Plus you'd have to do a lot of fabrication.

It would be much easier since it all just bolts back in, and almost
certainly much less expensive bottom line, to stroke your R-16.

FWIW,
Ron