Re: Engine swap-Z20E

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Engine swap-Z20E
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@dccnet.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:50:26 -0700
 O>riginally I was just
> going to stroke my R16 using the 4 speed and try to
> find a 5 speed tranny latter; from a SRL-311 or the
> 240sx/diesel p/u swap thing. However, the Z20E,
> including 5 speed tranny from a 1980 200sx, just came
> my way from a friend.

I believe the tranny you have is of the FS5W71B type. So the following
applies:

"1. Same length as 4 spd, looks like same shifter position. (later turns out
shifter is a little bit forward)

2. Transmission mount is about 2" further back.

3. Speedo connection is further back, and on the opposite side

4. It is a very nice shifting transmission, and I'm told quite robust.

5. The 1600 drive shaft just slides right in.

The only things I can see that need modifications right now, are the
transmission mount, and the speedo connection."

I used the FS5W71C which is longer and required more "cutting". The "B"
series transmissions 'should' fit much easier. With the diesel bellhousing
that is.

Your stock driveshaft should work perfectly.

Anybody, Just out of curiosity....What is the issue with the 510/240
bellhousings, other than the wiring? Can the starter be moved over to the
other side of the engine? Or will it interfere with the oil filter, etc? I
should have had a look at that when I was doing my swap!! :-(

>No charge, any parts I want to
> pull-out. I started thinking at first on trying to
> mate the 5speed to the R16, but the bellhousing is an
> issue. So, daydreaming I thought it would be cool swap
> the engine and tranny. The Z20E has fuel injection and
> has crossflow heads. I can't seem to find a lot of
> go-fast parts on the web, giving me the impression
> that the Z20E is not a very popular engine. Unclear on
> the the horsepower/torque potential of this engine
> either...

It would be a  power improvement over the stock R16 and more efficient with
the EFI. Cost of rebuild should be less (for parts only), Pistons to boost
compression should be available, Cam, port shaping and matching.....These
can be done to any engine to boost it's power, Some respond better than
others.

> So, how much modifications the engine bay would need?
> Does the crossmember needs to be changed and how much?
> Any clearence issues with the firewall and hood?

Don't know..???

>How about the transmission tunnel with the 5 speed from
> the 200sx? Does the driveshaft length need to be
> changed?

As above, DEPENDING on where you situate the engine when you swap it in. May
require VERY minor mods to the X frame/mount to fit level.
Cost me $125 Canadian to have the driveshaft shortened and balanced, and
they greased up the U-joints too!

>Engine mounts? Tilting the engine a bit to
> clear the hood is a great idea!! Any input/suggestions
> are welcome.
>
> I realize the tank and fuel lines need to be
> changed/modified for the EFI, but this open the door
> to use MegaSquirt to control the whole thing.

Now yer thinking! Go for a crankfired ignition while you are at it, an extra
$50 - $100 for parts if you already have the Megasquirt to control it!