Re: Exhaust smell

To: Paul Souza <pauljsouza@yahoo.com>, Roadster List
Subject: Re: Exhaust smell
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 14:13:35 -0600
>   Paul Souza

>   I will check the header, exhaust pipes, and fire wall seals as offered from
> people on our list.
>   I will also check the length of the tip near the bumper.  It is my
> understanding I should direct the exhaust to the driver side of the car.  My
> current tip is a 2-1/2" sebring straight tip which appears to let the exhaust
> come up to the trunks if setting idle.
>
>   My Rebello's engine is running a little rich so I replaced the jets from
> 57.0 to 55.0.  Rebello told me I might need to go to 52.0.  He is going to
> ship me some.  I am VERY happy with the engine.  He was able to get 198HP out
> of it for me from the old engine.
>   My uncle was able to install 2-1/2" exhaust pipe from the header to the
> axle. This involved mods to the frame.  Then I had a muffler shop do the rest.
> I am running a magna flow in front of the axle and a sebring resonator under
> the driver side "X" member.  I hope to posts pictures sometime soon.

Paul,

If you didn't use a flex section between the header and the pipe, I'd
suggest you do, especially since you've with a large pipe. I still want to
get the exhaust replaced on my 2000, from the header back and I have the
flex pipe that Dean sells.

Since the engine does move around some I think it's a good idea. Hopefully
it'll keep the pipe from banging where it passes through the frame. I think
you can also get thick, soft copper "gaskets" to go between the header
flange and reducer. If you don't allow for some movement at this point I
wouldn't be surprised to see leakage because bolts work loose or you've
busted a weld on the reducer or, worse, on the header.

FWIW,
Ron