Paint - DIY?

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Paint - DIY?
From: Brian Reynolds <brianrreynolds@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 07:59:46 -0500 (EST)
With the high cost of paint jobs, I imagine many people have thought about
doing it themselves. I have thought that I could buy the paint, and buy or
rent the spraying equipment including suit and face mask, hang some bed
sheets in my garage, maybe even get fancy and use some machine to filter
the air of dust particles, and start spraying. The previous owners used to
have a smoke oven in the corner of the garage, complete with exhaust fan
and chimney, which I thought I could use as ventilation. My question to
you guys, is how realistic is it to DIY?

I realise that it wouldn't look professionally done, as there would be
chunks of dust and other stuff in the paint as well as other issues, and
the finish wouldn't be baked, but paying 8000 clams to paint a $5000 car
is not an option (at least for me).

Is a good compromise to paint the primer and first coat or two yourself,
plus sanding, and then take it to a shop for a quick final coat?

-Brian Reynolds
Toronto