Re: Paint - DIY?

To: "Brian Reynolds" <brianrreynolds@yahoo.com>, "Roadster List"
Subject: Re: Paint - DIY?
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:21:13 -0500
Brian,

Painting a car can be done as a DIY, but there is a great deal time, money,
and aggravation involved.
 Here's a site that has quite a bit of detailed info - DIY resto of a Jag
XKE
 http://mckennasgarage.com/xke/index.htm

I've got some pics & info on my site as well, mostly on the prep side -
links from 4-10 to 11-24
http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/

Some additional misc. thoughts.
- there are places in some cities that will rent booth time, including
protective gear
- today's paint systems are LETHAL without the correct supplied-air
respiration equipment and full body protection - I personally know two guys
who ignored all the warnings and who's health suffered from shooting iso
clears with just a carbon filter.  Sanding fillers and primers requires a
dust mask.
- 2 stage sytems are quite forgiving - light color base coat practically
misted on, then lots of coats of clear let you buff out all but the biggest
hunks of crud.  see note above.
- HVLP guns save you lots of paint and greatly reduce overspray - they take
a bit of re-learning if your used to high pressure guns however.
- The prep work makes or breaks a paint job.  Wetting a surface you think is
ready for paint with prepsol will give it a good shine so you can check the
straightness. You need a lot of light to see what you're doing - a couple of
stand mounted halogen work lights make a world of difference.
- make the paint store counter man your friend - some dealers will only sell
to shops, others are willing to help a novice learn - stop in on a weekday
mid-afternoon with a box of doughnuts, and ask lots of questions.
- ditto with getting some books & videos, and go to some local cruise-ins to
see if you can find a shooter who knows what he's doing who's willing to
offer knowledge for beer....lots of car guys are like that.
- go to a junk yard and pick up some panels to practice on - you might waste
some money on primer & paint, but the experience will more than make up for
it.  The paint store will have a shelf of mis-tinted paints that they sell
cheap - I bought some funky blue this way for the underside of the "R" which
was then hidden with undercoating.

Mark Sedlack
ZROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH