Cat coverters and more on exhaust systems

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Cat coverters and more on exhaust systems
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.net" <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 22:58:11 GMT
Ok, while I know that I don't drive the blaster that much (summers only),
there is no doubt that emissions-wise this is one dirty car (67 2000, big cam,
big carbs, high compression, ported head etc etc and no emission controls).  I
was talking to my friend and performance guru last night, and with my rising
concerns about the environment I asked him about the performance detriment of
a catalytic converter.  He said that adding one would result in virtually no
performance loss and would help clean up emissions.  He said that it was a big
misconception that today's converters rob power, and that he laughs at those
"performance" people who say the first thing they are gonna do is remove the
cats.  My exhaust is a 2 inch pipe running back to a dynomax turbo muffler
just behind the last x frame, then just over the rear axle and out.  I am
thinking of adding a small cat between the two x frames to see what happens.
Has anyone else done any such thing?
BTW, I was able to run a 2 inch exhaust without vibration by opening up the
holes some in the frame.  I really HATE to say this, but the flex hoses
actually are rather restrictive due to the ribbing on the inside of the tube
(I used to have one too... I'm sorry!   It has been shown on a flow bench).
In order to get rid of it and run the exhaust size I wanted, a friend of mine
who does exhaust opened up the holes and fabricated some new hangers that
allow a bit of flex without rubbing.  Three years now and it has not been a
problem.  Again, I am really sorry about the flex hose info since they are
such a great option for eliminating that damn rattle.  And maybe the trade off
is worth it to be able to run a bigger exhaust without opening up the holes.
Like I said, I had one for years, but when it became time to redo the exhaust
I opted to go the other route... just more info so you all can decide what you
want to do.  It's not like you are gonna go from 120hp to 150 with that
change!
Anyway, happy Roadstering to all... I am impatiently waiting for spring here
in rainy Washington... come on sun!
Greg Burrows