Re: [Roadsters] 5-spd Transmission question...

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5-spd Transmission question...
From: "robert k. smith" <rksmith46@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 21:50:35 -0500
ken, you are almost there(to replace the 5th gear). dont heat the nuts!
justlay the trans assy. on the floor and get two big(long) pipe wrenches
orcresent(adj.) wrenches. use the floor to hold one wrench, put the
otherwrench in a position to loosen the other nut.(just above the other
wrench). then get a big hammer and while pressing down to hold tension, hit
thewrench, to loosen the nut. tighten it back the same way, using lock
tight.(i didnt, and had those two nuts loosen, causing the loss of gear
selection)the threads are right hand. once you get the nuts loose,and the
speedogear, and the  ball brg.(and snap rings), everything slides off the
mainshaft. be sure you use a brass drift to work the one brg. up the shaft,
hitting on alternate sides to slide the ball brg.  remember, whenreassembling
the 5th gear and needle brg., "cleanliness is next togodliness". while you are
in the trans. be sure to check and replacethe pins holding the shift forks in
place. the stock pins are a weakpoint. either get double thick roll pins, or
ive had good luck ckingthe stock pins for cracks , reusing them, and driving
in the solidend of  a 3/32" drill bit( inside the stock pins, after putting
thepins back in the fork). then i break or grind the drill bit flush.call me
if you dont understand something.              bob smith, ohio  614 418
9911p.s. dont throw away the old 5th gear, it can be welded upand reused.  > >
I believe they may be referring to a washer with lockin tabs, which get bent>
up against the flats on the nut to keep it from backing off. Those tabs may>
have sheared off if the nuts loosened. According to what I've read, some> have
double nuts, others single. If it is double nutted, you must hold the> inner
nut and loosen the outer nut and remove it first.> > Dave> > > I'm in the
process of fixing my '68-2000 "5th gear neutral" problem and have> the tranny
torn down. I need a little translation from the original factory> manual. The
manual states:> > "Stretch the lock plate"> > I believe when referring to a
lock nut on the main shaft. I've tried> breaking the nut loose but so far no
luck. Does "stretch" translate to> "heat with a torch"??? Or am I missing
something.> > The further I get into this project, the more I realize that I
probably> don't have the necessary tools (hydraulic press etc etc...) to
complete the> rebuild in a timely manner. Anyone know of a good transmission
shop in the> Seattle / Vancouver BC area that is familiar with the Datsun
5-spd. I'm> interested in a name or contact info.> > Thanks,> > Ken Pearce>
http://www.team.net/archive> >