Re: [Roadsters] 5-spd Transmission question...

To: " Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5-spd Transmission question...
From: "dave" <daveandlindab@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 22:46:19 -0500
I believe they may be referring to a washer with lockin tabs, which get bent
up against the flats on the nut to keep it from backing off. Those tabs may
have sheared off if the nuts loosened.  According to what I've read, some
have double nuts, others single.  If it is double nutted, you must hold the
inner nut and loosen the outer nut and remove it first.

Dave

I'm in the process of fixing my '68-2000 "5th gear neutral" problem and have
the tranny torn down.  I need a little translation from the original factory
manual.  The manual states:

  "Stretch the lock plate"

I believe when referring to a lock nut on the main shaft.  I've tried
breaking the nut loose but so far no luck.  Does "stretch" translate to
"heat with a torch"???  Or am I missing something.

The further I get into this project, the more I realize that I probably
don't have the necessary tools (hydraulic press etc etc...) to complete the
rebuild in a timely manner.  Anyone know of a good transmission shop in the
Seattle / Vancouver BC area that is familiar with the Datsun 5-spd.  I'm
interested in a name or contact info.

Thanks,

Ken Pearce
Bellingham, WA