Re: [Roadsters] 5-spd Transmission question...

To: Brian Hollands <bhollan4@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5-spd Transmission question...
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 12:18:51 -0600
--===============1231686700==

220 lbs is pretty tight. Back in my younger decades I did air cooled VW
repairs and the gland nut on the flywheel was to be tightened to 225
ft/lbs., plus locktite.  This took a 4' pipe on a 3/4" drive socket to
break loose. I also used the pipe and my bathroom scale to get it
tightened properly before I got a 250 ft/lb torque wrench.

The design was different than the Roadster 5th gear in that the VW used
4 machined pins to locate the flywheel, which didn't allow for any slop.
As I understand it the 5th gear is splined and has a small amount of
slop, which allows the nut to loosen up. I always wondered if it was
really required that the gland nut be  that tight, or whether they just
wanted to be SURE it wouldn't come loose no matter what!

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Brian Hollands:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001