Re: [Roadsters] 5-spd Transmission question...

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5-spd Transmission question...
From: peter harrison <granvillecomputing@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:39:09 -0800
When I had my 5 speed rebult - they just welded the 5th gear in placePeter1970
SPL Roadster TOAD SAN (Eliza)> Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 12:18:51 -0600> From:
roadsters@hornesystemstx.com> To: bhollan4@tampabay.rr.com> CC:
datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net> Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5-spd Transmission
question...> > 220 lbs is pretty tight. Back in my younger decades I did air
cooled VW > repairs and the gland nut on the flywheel was to be tightened to
225 > ft/lbs., plus locktite. This took a 4' pipe on a 3/4" drive socket to >
break loose. I also used the pipe and my bathroom scale to get it > tightened
properly before I got a 250 ft/lb torque wrench.> > The design was different
than the Roadster 5th gear in that the VW used > 4 machined pins to locate the
flywheel, which didn't allow for any slop. > As I understand it the 5th gear
is splined and has a small amount of > slop, which allows the nut to loosen
up. I always wondered if it was > really required that the gland nut be that
tight, or whether they just > wanted to be SURE it wouldn't come loose no
matter what!> > Peace,> Pat> > Thusly spake Brian Hollands:> > Yeah... Don't
heat the nuts.> > If it's a double nut main shaft the assembly spec as I
recall is to tighten> > the front nut against the gear cluster at about 20 or
25 Ft. lbs (check that> > figure) and then to back it off against the lock nut
at 220ft.lbs! That> > means that the lock nut is TIGHT.> > The pair of
wrenches that I used on mine were about a foot long so I secured> > the trans
well and then stood and bounced on the end of the wrench until it> > gave in.>
Horne, Owner, Horne Systems > (512) 797-7501 Voice 5026 FM 2001>
Pat@HorneSystemsTx.com Lockhart, TX 78644-4443> www.hornesystemstx.com> -- We
support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --