Re: [Roadsters] valve tick / clatter

To: JOver4X4@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, dcounty@msn.com
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] valve tick / clatter
From: DatsunDoc@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 20:01:03 EST
My guess is the piston is hitting the cylinder head.

MU

In a message dated 11/8/2008 5:50:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jover4x4@aol.com writes:

List,

I am asking for help in diagnosing a valve clatter for a  fellow Wycroc
member.? His car is a 67.5 1600.? The noise is a fairly loud  valve tick at
idle.?
It appears to be most apparent in cylinder #1.? (We used  a screwdriver as a
stethoscope and heard the noise in?the head, chamber #1).?  Upon revving the
engine the noise frequency increases with rpm.? It is  definitely an upper end
valvetrain noise rather than a lower end bearing  thunk.

I have adjusted valves several times to different lashes and  hear no
difference.? I have set lash to zero and still no change.? I have  replaced the
rocker assembly with a good used assy I had in the garage and it  made no
difference.? All cylinders are at 160psi compression.? Carbs are  dialed in
correctly
and the car idles well at 700rpm.? The noise started after  a blown head gasket
was repaired and a valve job performed.? Owner states all  new valves were
installed, seats cut by hand with a cutter (three angle cut on  seats), new
guides installed and reamed correctly.? Seats were not removed  when the valve
job
was performed.? The head was cut .025" and the machine shop  said it had been
cut once before.? So I'd estimate up to .050" has been  removed from the
head.?

About the only thing I can think of is that  one or more seats are loose in
the head, or a guide is loose, or the rocker  shaft needs rebushed.? I didn't
measure the head thickness, but highly doubt a  valve is hitting a piston.?

Has anyone encountered a similar problem??  Or can anyone offer some tech
advise on further diagnosis?? Owner hopes not to  have to pull the head again
but
I am afraid that it may be  necessary.

Thanks in advance,

John Over