Re: [Roadsters] valve tick / clatter

To: <gtpjimgammon@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] valve tick / clatter
From: "Walter Peterson" <Walter.Peterson@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 17:16:55 -0800
I hope I'm wrong; otherwise I've got bad news for you.  It's the pistons
hitting the machined head.
The 1600 head can't take much of a trim before the slight dome of the stock
pistons get too close.  (old news)
This was my very first harsh lesson in Roadster engine work.  I'd pull the
head to check, but you might try some of that Teflon/squishy bearing
clearance checking stuff.  You could slide some in through the spark plug
hole and turn the motor over by hand and see if it gets flattened.  The
problem with this you could miss the impact area.

So if any pistons are hitting and you really want to save this block, the
Rods & Crank will need to be checked for cracks and the pistons must be
tossed.  New bearings, etc.

Good luck,

Walter Peterson
Goleta Ca, 93117