Re: [Roadsters] Removing the cam

To: ljordan704@netscape.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Removing the cam
From: Steve Ehlers <stevenehlers@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:09:37 -0500
Linda and Pete ,
 A machine shop that Hot Tanked a block without advising you to get new
cam bearings installed ,after also doing machine work (  I suppose boring )
is doing you a dis-service ,I would suggest .Can't believe anybody that
should know better wouldn't tell you .In Rebuilding an engine ,replacing
Cam bearings is
a Normal part  of the Re-Build .How can you clean a block completely
with it installed ?You can't!And why would you not try to do this ,The
machine shop should have spelled out to you ,in my opinion .

 The best ways to clean a block ,and I have been doing this for over 35
years ,is to use a Local car wash sprayer with the main caps removed and
flushing ALL
oiling holes ,coolant holes ,freeze plug holes and of course ,everywhere
else .You need compressed air to blow out to dry Immediately after doing
this and oil up the bores to keep from rusting .A complete spray down
with something like Carb cleaner and reapplication of oil to all bores
,Crank saddles and machined surfaces.Wrap in a trash bag till painted
and assembled/assembled.Use link free clothes/ towels for wiping down
and cleaning for painting .
Good luck !
Steve Ehlers

Rising Sun Performance Inc.
Fort Worth ,Texas
"Home of the Oldest Z car Shop in Texas " still in business .