Re: [Roadsters] Removing the cam

To: ljordan704@netscape.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Removing the cam
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:43:37 -0700
>  So to explain a bit, Peter's engine came back from the machinist
> and he needs to blow out and clean out any debris from the machining
> work.

Hmmmm.... this seems a bit odd....

If there's any residue that needs blowing out, then the block/crank/cam
isn't ready to be bolted together - trying to blow out the oil passages
with parts installed will not lead to happy results. So the cam shouldn't
have been installed until the block was clean and ready to go.

If there's any any any doubt that there's any trace of grunge, it
all needs to come apart. That involves pulling the crank (which may
mean replacing the rear main seal). Also note that the cam bearings
better be slathered in pre-lube (typically a white creamy goo). All of
the bearings should be pre-lubed.

Other notes: The archives reference popping a plug at the end of
the oil gallery to allow thorough cleaning on the passage, and tapping
the hole and plugging it when done. Sorry, I can't be more specific
offhand.

And when removing or installing the cam (or jackshaft for 2L fans), be
very VERY careful when sliding the 'stick in to not bump and nick any
of the cam bearings that are pressed into the block. Any nick and you
better replace the insert while you can.

My thoughts. Others may differ...

-- John