fot

Re: Block/Liner Question

To: AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Block/Liner Question
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 22:40:15 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-10-28 10:50:00 EST, AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com
writes:

<<
 If I were to take a stock TR4 block and stock set of liners and wished
 to "freshen" the surface of the deck, what is the procedure? Pitfalls?

 Never done this before and dont want to find out things the hard way IF
 I do a skim cut.

Opinions...ever'body's got one...

My first reaction is "don't do it" unless your block is unuseable otherwise.
My second reaction is "don't do it"...find another block.

Now, all that said and done, if you're gonna go for it, and ya wanna make
some serious inroads into uncharted TR territory, think about this (we're
talkin "urban legend" here...I have never done this myself, but have actually
had my hands on a running motor that had about 3/8" of the top of the block
milled off. Stock heigth liners were used, and from the outside, the head
appeared stockish thickness. The trick here was that the head was counter
bored to accept the liners. The theory was that the motor had very high
compression, but because the head was "stepped" inside, it maintained
superior stiffness and would "hold" the high compression. As this particular
car usually beat the wee-wee outta me on the straights (never could get that
car to corner worth a darn though), there may be something to it.

Not respsonsible for telling you more than I know...
              Nick in Nor Cal