fot

Re: Block/Liner Question

To: emanteno@ix.netcom.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Block/Liner Question
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 23:33:45 -0500 (EST)

<<
 I had heard that zero decking the block was one of the preparations of a
 high performance/race engine. Is that not the case with the wet liners
 engines?

 Irv

Irv-

So much for the subjective...staright ahead into to the objective...
Since we're talking wet liners here, and this is a Triumph group, we must be
talkin TR2>4's here. So with that in mind, it's opinion time....
I'll agree that with most motors a zero deck is a good thing. BUT, these
motors, when used in a "sporting" environment, tend to flex the crank a
goodly amount. With "stock" clearances and using a 7000 rpm redline, I have
been able to read the piston number in reverse on the head ! Does this tell
you anything? Before I went to pistons made to my own spec, I used to take an
additional cut across the top of the piston crown which was adjacent to the
portion of the head which hangs over the bore. In other words, the top of the
piston was cut in an arc to provide extra clearance at one side of the piston
crown only. This was an effort to maintain as much compression as possible.
I'd have to go measure a piston at this point to be sure, but I seem to
recall that I made this cut approx .010" to solve this problem. YMMV.

As usual, if any of your Triumph force be caught doing this, I will disavow
all knowlege...
        Nick in Nor Cal