fot

Rotoflex rear suspension

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Rotoflex rear suspension
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 08:22:23
Hi all,
     This weekend I discovered a problem with my GT-6+ (Rotoflex
suspension).  About a year ago, I developed a clunking sound like
a u-joint going out (except maybe a bit louder)from the right rear.
When I went to pull the axle to replace the u-joint, I discovered
that one of the bolts that holds the Rotoflex joint to the outer
stub axle had broken, allowing the spider arms from the outer axle
to bang on the arms from the inner axle, hence the noise.  It had
worn enough of a groove in the inner axle arms that I felt that
I had to replace the axle at that time.  Anyway, the other day
I felt another small clonk on hard left turns and after checking
it out yesterday, I discovered that I've broken one of those
same bolts again.  I can't understand why I'm breaking these
bolts, can anyone help me?  Is this common?  Any ideas what I
can do to prevent it from happening again?  I'm getting tired
of removing these broken ends and re-installing Rotoflex joints.

thanks folks,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu