fot

RE: Observation @ VTR

To: Chip Bond <spirals@ESINET.NET>
Subject: RE: Observation @ VTR
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:49:13 -0400 ()
On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Chip Bond wrote:

> ...back in the mid 70's the TR-4 was really considered just a parts
> donor to keep the 3's going...
> I'm afraid that the 4's were cannabalized. Not many are left. Sad....

And I plead guilty. It was around that time that I obtained, from a
friend, a tired and fairly rusty early TR4, with "Factory Rebuilt Engine,"
OD gearbox, wire wheels and Michelin X tires all around -- for free
(except what it cost to have it towed to my house). I pulled off just
about every bit and piece that I could justify saving at the time and had
the remains of the tub carted away (it did pretty much break in two once
off the chassis).

Now, the car would have been an ambitious, but probably doable,
restoration project. Then, it was (sorry) junk! But bits of the car live
on today (how's that dashboard, Greg P?).

At least here in the Northeast, I don't think the TR4/4A was ever regarded
as much of a "collectible" until it was far too late for most of the cars.
I agree that it still is overshadowed by the sidescreen and six-cylinder
TRs and probably always will be. Too bad.

--Andy