fot

RE: Observation @ VTR

To: Andrew Mace <amace@UNIX2.NYSED.GOV>
Subject: RE: Observation @ VTR
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:44:30 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Andrew Mace wrote:

> Now, the car would have been an ambitious, but probably doable,
> restoration project. Then, it was (sorry) junk! But bits of the car live
> on today (how's that dashboard, Greg P?).

        Primered and hanging in my garage, Mr. Mace... It will go into the
        `4 this winter.

        The Green Man, my`4 is something of a bitsa car... The tub came from
        a TR4a from  california (whose frame and running gear went to a
        turnkey kit car, a "Hunter"). My `4 was a parts car that in my
        ignorance about these things at the time, I restored.

        The only original outer panel is the bonnet. Lucky for me the
        frame, etc. was in pretty good shape.

        My opinion of the dearth of `4s is that they were much more
        utilitarian than the 3's. They got used up... Driven til they fell,
        apart and/or canibalised to update a `3 (though that sounds a bit
        specious for the general), and used in kit cars.

        I don't think they had the "novelty" of the TR3s (looks), or the
        "power" of the TR6, which also benefitted by the sobriquet "last
        of the hairy-chested sports cars", which prompted people to hang
        on to them.

        I think the early TR4 only had a run of ~49,000, The TR4a I don't
        know how many were made. The TR6 I think had production of
        somewhere around 147,000 considerably more than I think both The
        TR4 or `4A I'm not including the TR250 because the production
        numbers were so low.

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois