fot

RE: Observation @ VTR

To: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Subject: RE: Observation @ VTR
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:55:43 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Kevin O'Driscoll wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Gregory Petrolati wrote:
> >     I think the early TR4 only had a run of ~49,000, The TR4a I don't
> >     know how many were made. The TR6 I think had production of
> >     somewhere around 147,000 considerably more than I think both The
> >     TR4 or `4A I'm not including the TR250 because the production
> >     numbers were so low.
> >     "That's not a leak... My car is just marking its territory!"
> >
> According to the MOSS USA catalog there were produced:
>
> 13,377 TR3's;  61,558 TR3A's; and only 3,334 TR3B's for a total of
> 78,269 TR3's
>
> 40,304 TR4's and 28,683 TR4A's for a total of 68,987 TR4's

And the Moss TR6 catalog implies that there were something like 97993
total TR6's made - but there are some gaps in the production numbers that
are a little strange, so it is possible that the total was something less
than that - round to 95000, just for yuks. That comes out to maybe 25%
more total numbers than the TR4/4a - not double the number...

At any rate, a more interesting number would be the "survival ratio", the
number produced divided by the number surviving. I'll bet the TR4 SR is a
lot less than the TR6 series and it's a toss-up as to which SR is
larger, TR5/TR250 or GT6 MkII or TR8. It is clearly much smaller for 4's.

Too bad really - even though the sacrifice was to keep other TR's on the
road.

> Had nothing better to do while eating lunch, thanks.

I hear you there. Although I'm _supposed_ to be working right now.

;-)

> _KevinO

rml
(who can't bear to chop up any Triumph as evidenced by the two extremely
rough TR6's in the front yard. But hey - it pisses the neighbors off.
Nyuk nyuk nyuk. Hey, they paid $250k for thier houses - not me! <smirk>.)
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |