fot

RE: Let me have it!

To: "'rmbownes@intermedia.com'" <rmbownes@intermedia.com>,
Subject: RE: Let me have it!
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 12:19:31 -0500
RMBownes wrote:

        Take the Cal Club approach and get a loan from the SCCA. Form a
private company (you can still sell shares in Utah) and go for it.
That's how the multi-million dollars were raised for thunderhill &
ButtonWillow

Once you've got the income potential and fiscal feasibility questions
out of the way and you're seriously considering offering shares of a
company which is to own or lease the track, be SURE to comply with the
federal and state securities laws.  Pretty important because if all
doesn't go well and investors lose their money, if you haven't properly
complied, the officers and board of directors can theoretically be
personally responsible to make up the losses.  It's all great fun at the
moment, but I've seen these things get pretty messy.

The laws aren't hard to comply with, and you shouldn't consider this as
a major impediment to pursuing the project, but you should certainly
consider the issue before you offer shares of the track company to
anyone.

Can't imagine you don't have a lawyer or two among your local club
members - recruit them for their advice on how to comply.  If you're
only offering to a limited number of residents of Utah, you're likely
past the federal securities law hurdles (intra-state exemption).  Utah,
like most states, likely has its own regulations for offering of shares
of a company (whether public or private) in the state.  There are
usually limitations on the number of people you can offer (not sell,
OFFER) shares to and dollar limitations as well.  Beyond those
limitations, a registration of the shares is required - read that as
expensive, time consuming and a big wet blanket on all the fun.  Ask
your lawyer friends about the "Blue-sky" laws in Utah - they'll know
what I mean.

Scott Barr
scott.barr@mccarty-law.com
72 GT6