fot

Re: Re: Fuel System Questions

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net, peyote222@email.msn.com
Subject: Re: Re: Fuel System Questions
From: TR3197@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 13:43:15 EST
Jack, there goes one of our 'speed secrets'. There will a run on Strombergs
now.

Joe

Baxter Culver wrote:

> Strombergs as "junk".   Years ago, when I was finishing the restoration of a
> Lotus Elan which had 175 Strombergs,  I attended one of those seminars held
> by a former Lotus works racing guy (whose name has been obliterated by a
> pint or more of good scotch) who said, and I quote,  "the fastest  racing
> elan we ever set up had stombergs"   "faster than the best we could do with
> webers on a works Type 26r"   He wasn't selling the secret needles--but he
> did tell us which ones seemed to be the best for an upgrade.   Damn thing
> did run well after that, I must say.   So!  Strombergs as junk?

Thanks for the encouragement. There are some disadvantages to
Strombergs, to be sure, but some of the dire predictions of failure just
have not happened to me -- for example, I've never had a diphragm break
in three years of racing.

One of the interesting aspects of Strombergs is that on the limited flow
bench work I had done, a stock Stromberg 175 showed higher flow than a
stock SU. A slightly modified Stromberg 175 showed even higher flow.
Nevertheless, I recognize that the fastest cars do run S.U.'s, and I
plan to prepare a set of S.U.'s and do a back-to-back comparison on a
test day just to further feed my curiosity.

--
uncle jack
61 TR4 Rallye Replica Racer