fot

RE: TR4 block deck surface irregularities

To: Bob Kramer <rgk@flash.net>, "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: TR4 block deck surface irregularities
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 22:32:41 -0700
Is there anyone else out there who thinks coppercote doesn't work? I have
good luck with a light coating of oil and nothing else on head gaskets (and
most other gaskets for that matter).

I don't see how that block could work with .0025" taper in the span of 80
some-odd mm. That means the full taper edge to edge of the block is probably
something like .004" or more. Seems like you could get the liners to seal
okay, but the gasket would get very hot in areas where the contact with the
head was light (no heat transfer) and you'd likely have water jacket
leakage.

There's a lot of junk gaskets around for vintage brit cars. It doesn't seem
like a part that would be so hard to get right. When I buy and aftermarket
gasket set for an american or newer import I'm always envious of the quality
of even the least expensive sets.