fot

RE: TR4 block deck surface irregularities

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 block deck surface irregularities
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:41:11 -0400
Jack,

> I applied the Coppercote to all surfaces (same as I had always done with
> Gaskacinch) and installed the cylinder head, torqueing the head
> nuts to 105 ft. lbs.

Applying CopperKote (same as you have always done with Gaskascinch) may be
part of the problem.  I was always under the belief the copperKote should be
applied, to the head gasket only, not the head or block, in light several
coats, which are allowed to dry between coats.  A final coat is applied and
the head dropped into place while the CopperKote is still wet.  I've always
sprayed the final coat, put the gasket and head into place and gotten the
head nuts to at least 50 ft-lbs, within 10 minutes.  Is this a factor?  I
don't know, but it's worked on my street at street compression ratios.

> In fact, when I torqued the
> head, I could hear a crunching sound, as if there were particles of dirt
> between the head, block and gasket mating surfaces.  I believe these dried
> copper particles kept the head and block from pulling up tight to
> the gasket.

I've only installed a TR head three times, but never heard a crunching
sound.  Might it be possible that dirt particles got caught in the
CopperKote prior to installing the head?

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando